Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Summer I Turned Pretty

Book Review #8
The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han
Rating: Four stars (refer to the rating system on the right)

Summary:
 Belly, her mother, and her older brother Steven spend every summer at the beach house with her mother's best friend Susannah and her two teenage boys (Jemimah and Conrad). Jeremiah and Conrad have been everything to Belly, they have been her brotherly figures, her crushes, and everything in between. Belly, being the only girl, was used to being left out, but during her 16th summer everything changes. Belly isn't treated like one of the boys anymore, she's pretty, and everyone is noticing. Belly isn't used to all the changes and gets confused. Belly battles growing up, love, and family issues all at the same time. 

The Summer I Turned Pretty is one of my favorite kinds of books, a literal beach/summer read.Jenny Han did a great job describing summer and childhood friendships making it a wonderful novel. I really liked this book, there were a couple of things I really enjoyed such as: the flashbacks of previous summers, realistic characters who have real problems,the let down of summer romances, hard core issues that make it something more than just a summer read, and the coming of age storyline (I could could on and on...). I absolutely can't wait for the sequel to come out (Its Not Summer Without You). I would recommend this book to everyone, especially for Sarah Dessen fans.

1 comment:

Test said...

It sounds like a great book! I'll have to check it sometime, especially since you suggest it for fans of one of my favorite authors, Sarah Dessen. :)