Monday, June 14, 2010

Sea Change by Aimee Friedman

Book review #46
Sea Change by Aimee Friedman
Rating: Four stars (refer to the rating system on the right)

Summary: (taken from Goodreads)
16-year-old Miranda Merchant is great at science...and not so great with boys. After major drama with her boyfriend and (now ex) best friend, she's happy to spend the summer on small, mysterious Selkie Island, helping her mother sort out her late grandmother's estate.

There, Miranda finds new friends and an island with a mysterious, mystical history, presenting her with facts her logical, scientific mind can't make sense of. She also meets Leo, who challenges everything she thought she knew about boys, friendship...and reality.

Is Leo hiding something? Or is he something that she never could have imagined? .


Sea Change is a refreshing change from the typical summer read. I was immediately drawn in from the introduction of the smart mysterious main character. Sea Change is one of those books you get so lost in that you block everything else out and just escape. It was really fun spending a couple of weeks at the magnificent Selkie Island...a place a lot different than most of us are used to.

16 year old Miranda planned on spending her summer interning at the glorious Museum of Natural History in New York. But everything changes when her grandmother passes away. Before she knows it, she finds herself living at the enormous mansion her grandmother left behind on Selkie Island. Miranda is exposed to a whole other world. She's captured by the southern hospitality, mystical roots, and array of people she meets. Miranda is left discovering the many secrets the island holds...

Miranda was a lovely main character. She was smart, intriguing, and very easy to relate to. She learned more about herself as the book went along and I really loved that. She was just different and that was expressed by her struggle to fit in with everyone else. Her romance with Leo was so sweet. Their connection was memorable. Leo is one of those guys that makes your heart melt. Although it was obvious he had his secrets ( which made me like him even more). T.J., the other guy battling for Miranda's attention, was not my favorite. He was a great example of someone close to perfect, but not appealing at all.

Sea Change was a beautiful coming of age story. The enchanting setting, amazing romance, and mystery really set this book apart. The suspense really kept you on edge. It was wonderful solving the mysterious of the past and learning more about Miranda's family history. Although others my not love the ending, I enjoyed the fact that it was left so open, leaving an endless amount of possibilities. 

Overall Sea Change was a unique summer read that really is magical. I'm so happy I got a chance to read this one. It's perfect for a day at the beach or even a cozy day at home. I'll definitely be looking out for Friedman's other books. I definitely recommend this one, so make sure to pick up a copy! Oh and isn't the cover just stunning? (:

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice review. I liked it a lot as well. bk

Danielle said...

this sounds right up my alley, thanks for the review, im gna ck this book out :), i have a book blog as well, take a look
http://up-sideofinsanity.blogspot.com/

Christina T said...

I am glad to hear that you liked Sea Change. I have it on my TBR list. I will have to pick it up this summer once I reduce my TBR pile. Good review!

Adriana said...

This sounds like a such a perfect summer read. I've been wanting to read it for a while, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Your review definitely makes me want to go out and get myself a copy.

Amelia said...

Glad you liked it!

Briana said...

Good review!

This sounds like something I may like :)

-Briana

Paula said...

sounds like a very interesting read great review

j said...

I LOVE those books you can get lost in! I have been wanting to read this one, and since it's now in paperback, I will be getting it this summer. Thanks for the awesome review Sara!

Linna said...

Miranda does sound like a fantastic character- and the romance sounds so sweet. I really just want to buy this book right now; it sounds like such a great read for the summer!

Tina said...

I've been wanting to read this book for a while... I think it's one I'd like to read by the pool side or the beach. I loved your review! :)

Bere said...

Brilliant review, Sara! I'm really excited to read this one, now more than ever with your wonderful review. Can't wait. And I agree, I've always loved this cover. Very beautiful. =)

ReggieWrites said...

I really like this review! It really describes the book well with intertwining your thoughts of it as well! Great job!

Reggie =)
Here from the CEP! You have a great blog!

Erika said...

fantastic review, sara! insightful, yet still objective. very well-written :) i'm so glad you enjoyed it!

Unknown said...

This is one of the books that has been on my bookshelf for a while but I haven't had a chance to read it. Your review was great and Sea Change will make it on my summer read list.

Brittany said...

Well now, This just sounds like an amazing summer read. I will definitely need a copy for my library for this summer.

Anonymous said...

For some reason I thought this was paranormal. Thanks for clearing it up for me. This is one of my wish list items.

Tales of Whimsy said...

FAB review! I LOVED this book :)

Tales of Whimsy said...

Wasn't Leo super dreamy?

Sara said...

Thanks everyone! (:

Media: No problem, it does have a tiny bit of mythology/ sea creature type of thing in it, but it's never really clarified if that makes sense.

Juju: YES Leo is super dreamy haha loved him :D

Kelley Vitollo said...

This sounds like something I would love. Great review.

Maria said...

This is the perfect summer book, I love it! And the cover, I think it's my favourite :)

Jamie said...

Thanks for putting this one on my radar, Sara. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Dahlia (TheBookShopaholic) said...

Wow, you're getting lots of comments.

I have Sea Change and been looking into reading it for lately, I'll be grabbing it reel soon. I want to know about this mystery island you speak about.

Natalie (Id So Rather Be Reading) said...

This one kind of reminds me of The Percy Jackson series! I am going to recommend it to my nieces! Thanks for sharing, I hadn't heard of it.

Katia said...

I've never read this kind of novel but thanks to your review I just might.

Cass said...

I like open kinds of endings, too. It leaves so much room for interpretation and thinking after the book has ended. Sounds like a good read!

Eternal Night said...

Hey, This book really sounds great and I'm hope to get this book on my TBR pile soon. Great Review by the way.

Anonymous said...

Sounds really great for a summer read, I think I'll enjoy this, probably will. Great review.

Anonymous said...

Sounds really great for a summer read, I think I'll enjoy this, probably will. Great review.

Aik said...

This book sounds good for summer! I already have it on my wish list! Thanks for your thoughtful review!

Amelia said...

Looks like a very promising book! Great review. :)

ally said...

Nice!! I've heard nothing but good things from this book and can't wait to read it :)!