Saturday, April 24, 2010

In My Mailbox (14)

In My Mailbox is a meme originally hosted by Kristi over at The Story Siren (click for more information) that shares all the new books you've bought, borrowed, received, or traded for the week.

I had a not too bad week. I did get quite a bit of reading done this week and it was awesome. I still have so many good books to read...I can't wait :)

Library/for review:

The Secret Year by Jennifer R. Hubbard
Summary: (taken from Goodreads) 

Seventeen-year-old Colt has been sneaking out at night to meet Julia, a girl from an upper-class neighborhood unlike his own. They’ve never told anyone else about their relationship: not their family or friends, and especially not Julia’s boyfriend.When Julia dies suddenly, Colt tries to cope with her death while pretending that he never even knew her. He discovers a journal she left behind. But he is not prepared for the truths he discovers about their intense relationship, nor to pay the price for the secrets he’s kept. 

I don't know why, but I still get really surprised when my library has newish books. This has been on my to read list for ages. I've read mixed reviews on this, so I'm kinda nervous.

Looking For Alaska by John Green
Summary: (taken from Goodreads)

Sixteen-year-old Miles Halter's adolescence has been one long nonevent - no challenge, no girls, no mischief, and no real friends. Seeking what Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps," he leaves Florida for a boarding school in Birmingham, AL. His roommate, Chip, is a dirt-poor genius scholarship student with a Napoleon complex who lives to one-up the school's rich preppies. Chip's best friend is Alaska Young, with whom Miles and every other male in her orbit falls instantly in love. She is literate, articulate, and beautiful, and she exhibits a reckless combination of adventurous and self-destructive behavior. She and Chip teach Miles to drink, smoke, and plot elaborate pranks. Alaska's story unfolds in all-night bull sessions, and the depth of her unhappiness becomes obvious.

This sounds great and I've heard wonderful things about it! I already started Paper Towns and am loving it, so I immediately checked this one out :) 

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
Summary: (taken from Goodreads)

It all starts when Nick asks Norah to be his girlfriend for five minutes. He only needs five minutes to avoid his ex-girlfriend, who’s just walked in to his band’s show. With a new guy. And then, with one kiss, Nick and Norah are off on an adventure set against the backdrop of New York City—and smack in the middle of all the joy, anxiety, confusion, and excitement of a first date.

This he said/she said romance told by YA stars Rachel Cohn and David Levithan is a sexy, funny roller coaster of a story about one date over one very long night, with two teenagers, both recovering from broken hearts, who are just trying to figure out who they want to be—and where the next great band is playing. 

 
Rachel Cohn and David Levithan are awesome together! I watched the movie and really liked it, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this. 

Will Grayson,Will Grayson by John Green and  David Levithan
Summary: (taken from Goodreads)

One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens—both named Will Grayson—are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history’s most fabulous high school musical.



I almost forgot about this. I'm really excited about it! I hope it lives up to the hype :P 

What's in your mailbox?

15 comments:

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

Thanks you for participating in The Saturday Network!

Great books! I actually have the Secret Year and Looking for Alaska waiting for me to read them, and Nick+Norah was enjoyable. Happy reading! :D

Lauren said...

Great week! I actually adore Looking For Alaska, it's a really beautiful book. After I read it I gave it to my mother to read and she loved it too. I think it's impossible not to! Hope you enjoy all the books you got this week. :)

Violet said...

I liked Looking for Alaska & can't wait to read Will Grayson, Will Grayson! Looking forward to reading your reviews. :)

YellowBanana said...

Man, I want to read Will Grayson, Will Grayson so badly- read so many good things about it. Happy reading!

Test said...

Yay, you got Will Grayson,Will Grayson! I loved that book a lot even with the slight problems I had with it. Also Looking For Alaska is amazing, so I hope you enjoy that one too. Happy reading! :)

Laura (The Bookie Bunch) said...

Awesome books! Looking for Alaska is a classic and I'm wanting to read The Secret Years!

Here's my IMM for the week: http://bookielaura.blogspot.com/2010/04/in-my-mailbox-42410.html

I hope you have an awesome Sunday!
Laura from the Bookie Bunch ;D

A.J. said...

Haven't read any of these books, but I am interested in Looking for Alaska and Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist. :D Hope you enjoy them all!

Christina T said...

I've only read The Secret Year but the others are supposed to be really good. It is always nice to find new books you've been wanting to read at the library. Sadly my libraries haven't been able to get very many new books this year so I usually have to order them on interlibrary loan.

I hope you have a great week!

Jamie said...

Great haul! You'll love Looking for Alaska and Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist.

I'm so jealous of The Secret Year and Will Grayson, Will Grayson. I can't wait to get my hands on those.

Anonymous said...

The Secret Year kind of disappointed me but I hope you like it. :) The others are all on my to-read list so I look forward to your reviews. Happy reading!

♫♥✿Chas @ LovLivLife Reviews✿♥♫ said...

Oh... I really want to see the movie of Nick and Nora!=) I wonder if the book is a good read!=)

Enjoy your books!

If you have time come on over and check out my IMM!=) Aloha!!

Erica said...

All those look brilliant, I've only read The Secret Year.

Brittany said...

Hooray for Will grayson, Will Grayson.... I too hope it lives up to all the hype!

Brittany said...

Hooray for Will grayson, Will Grayson.... I too hope it lives up to all the hype!

Stephanie said...

These look really good. I just bought Looking for Alaska, and I'm looking forward to it. Hooray for the bookstore's bargain shelves!