Friday, April 30, 2010

Love You Hate You Miss You by Elizabeth Scott

Book review #34
Love You Hate You Miss You by Elizabeth Scott
Rating: Five stars (refer to the rating system on the right)

Summary: (taken from Goodreads)
You know, I always thought I told you everything, but there are some things I should have said but never did. I should have told you about the time I lost your new sunglasses. I know you really liked them. I should have apologized the time I ruined your brand-new skirt, the one with the beading. I should have apologized for a lot of stuff.

I’m sorry. I’m sorry for everything.


It's been seventy five days. Amy's sick of her parents suddenly taking an interest in her, and she's really sick of people asking her about Julia. Julia's gone, and Amy doesn't want to talk about it. No one knew Julia like she did. No one gets what life is without her.


No one understands what it's like to know that it's all your fault.


Amy's shrink thinks she should keep a journal but instead, Amy starts writing letters to Julia. As she writes letter after letter, she begins to realize that the past holds its own secrets--and that the present deserves a chance. 


It's way after midnight and I'm trying to fall asleep. But I can't. Having just finished Love You Hate You Miss You less than five minutes ago, with dry tears on my cheeks, sleep is the last thing I can do. Love You Hate You Miss You is so powerful, raw, heartbreaking, and surprisingly funny. After reading a couple of light, fluffy books, this is just what I needed. I don't know how I'm feeling right now. One thing is for sure, I'm definitely blown away and almost speechless. Elizabeth Scott has amazed me once again.

The story begins with Amy coming straight out of Pinewood-a treatment center, where she had spent her summer. Julia, her best friend, had died sometime ago, but Amy obviously is still very affected. You don't discover the true story of how Julia died until the middle of the book. The book mainly  focuses on Amy's life after the accident, as well as flashbacks and memories of times before it happened. About half or more of the book is composed of letters written to Julia, about almost everything-memories, what's going on in the present, and true feelings. Amy has to deal with her parents who have changed significantly after the accident, her annoying shrink, and of course all of her schoolmates. Untimely Amy has to learn how to live, love, and smile again.

Amy is just an extraordinary person. I could never imagine being in her shoes. Without my best friend, my other half, my world would never be the same. In some ways I somewhat understand. Without someone important to you everything is just different. She felt so many different things, including guilt. Amy blames what happened on herself. Even though Julia wasn't alive in the book, I felt like I had known her all my life. She's one of those people everybody loves. She's not perfect at all, but she couldn't be a better friend with a bigger heart. I really liked how the parents played a different role than usual.  They were a totally in love couple, who weren't really planning on ever having kids. After the accident they transformed from non-caring, not even noticing that Amy is in the room, to extra-supportive and even somewhat strict.

What I couldn't really believe was that all of Amy's former friends shunned her and even made fun of her after the accident. Not that they were even real friends in the first place. Amy got stuck with Mel, Patrick, and former friend Carol for the rest of the year. A very different and unique group of people.  Patrick definitely stood out, he was mysterious and so different. He was practically the only human who actually understood.

The writing was so powerful and vivid. You would never imagine that a story about such a dark subject could be funny and sarcastic. The feelings were so touching and real. This book will think make you think...think hard. It made me feel so grateful for everything. I cried so much while reading this, I cried happy, sad, and angry tears along with Amy.

Amy and Julia, along with the whole book, I know I won't forget. I savored every page, not ever wanting it to end. I loved Elizabeth Scott's other books, but I personally think this one was her best. Love You Hate Miss You is a must read. I strongly recommended everyone to read this.

14 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

Awesome review. The cover is so pretty with all those roses.

Sara said...

Thanks Juju! I love the cover too :)

Jen said...

Great review! You definitely make me want to read this book!

Darlyn said...

Agree with Juju.It has very stunning cover..As well as the story too..

Nely said...

Lovely review. This sounds like one I'm going to have to check out.

♥Nely

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

Wow, I love emotional books like this! I'm definitely going to be looking out for it. The title is very unique, also!

Anonymous said...

I loved this one as well. Elizabeth Scott is such a great author able to write about so many different things.

Have a great weekend as well Sara! :D

Steph said...

What a powerful review, Sara! I was lukewarm about the only book I've read by this author, but this sounds like something that would thoroughly pull me in. I'll look for it at the library.

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

Great review! I'm vising from the Saturday Network, btw :)
Can you believe I've never read an Elizabeth Scott novel before?! I've heard tons of great things about her books though, so I really need to get around to reading them. This one looks really good :)

Bere said...

Wow Sara! Very amazing review! This book sounds fantastic and your review just makes it sounds so much better. I just added this book to my wishlist a few days ago. Can't wait to get it and read it. Really can't! Brilliant review Sara, thanks so much! =)

Robby said...

Elizabeth Scott is so gifted. This was one of my favorite books of hers. I saw on your IMM post that you got Living Dead Girl.
Prepare yourself. It just gets better. :]

Test said...

Great review! This is one of my favorite Elizabeth Scott books too! Though basically all her books are just spectacular!

MusicLuvr13♪♪ said...

I have just reviewed this one on my own blog. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Blueicegal ♥ said...

i remember reading this book it made me very emotional also, Amy is just such a relate able yet damaged character, terrific review as always dearie :)