Saturday, January 23, 2010

Exclusively Chloe

For the first time, in a long time, I really couldn't get through a whole book. For some reason, I would start a book and be so disinterested I would have to put it down. Good news, I finally got through a whole book! I've just finished Exclusively Chloe and I'm already half-way through Liar! 

Book Review #14
Exclusively Chloe by J.A. Yang
Rating: Three stars (refer to the rating system on the right)

Summary:
16- year old Chloe Grace, the first celebrity-adopted kid in Hollywood, has a very privileged life. When she learns from a headline on a gossip magazine, that her dad was having an affair, everything starts to go wrong. With her parents' divorce, paparazzi, and everyone watching her move, Chloe becomes sick of her life. She wonders what it would be like to be a "normal" kid in a regular school. Chloe decides to do just that, she gets a "make-under" and enters the "real world."

Honestly, what really drew me to the book was the cover. Although I thought the summary that was provided on the back of the book was somewhat inaccurate. I thought the book was going to mostly be about Chloe undercover, but Chloe didn't undergo her transformation until the late second half of the book. Despite the misconception, I thought it was an entertaining light read. I love reading books about Hollywood and Chloe was a great main character, she was nice, sweet, and not snotty at all. Unlike most Hollywood starlet books, most of the descriptions weren't about the name of brands, which was a major plus. I enjoyed most of the characters, aside from Rachelle (one of Chloe's "best friends") who wasn't a good friend at all. I really liked Luther, her mother's stylist, and her fake "dad" for whom she lives with when she goes undercover. Luther gave me quite a couple of laugh of loud moments. I have to say, the book got a lot more interesting during the second half, when Chloe renamed herself as "Lilly" and transferred schools. There is also more to the story, than Chloe just wanting to see how "normal" life it, but  I don't want to give away any spoilers. Put aside the few typical stereotypes and you have a look at some of the harsh reality of Hollywood (without being too trashy and unrealistic). In the end, Excursively Chloe was a fun/entertaining, light read.

3 comments:

Shy said...

Hi Sara!

This would be my very first comment over here and I came from Books @Midnight. I'm thrilled to hear that the book you recently read didn't include any "descriptions about brands". Because that was pretty much what I heard when I was reading the book I recently reviewed. Could really be boring when you heard it too often, don't you think?

Stephanie said...

This sounds like a good read. I enjoyed your review!

Hazra said...

I'm suffering from the same malady as you. I've got nearly half a dozen books in various stages of completion. I'm still looking for that one book to end the slump.

This one sounds like a light fun read. Your review made me want to pick it up!