Sunday, July 18, 2010

In My Mailbox (26)

In My Mailbox is a meme originally hosted by Kristi over at The Story Siren (click for more information) that shares all the new books you've bought, borrowed, received, or traded for the week.

I had a very slow week, but it's OK :)

Library/for review:

Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles
Summary: (taken from Goodreads)

Nothing has been the same since Caleb Becker left a party drunk, got behind the wheel, and hit Maggie Armstrong. Even after months of painful physical therapy, Maggie walks with a limp. Her social life is nil and a scholarship to study abroad—her chance to escape everyone and their pitying stares — has been canceled. 

After a year in juvenile jail, Caleb’s free . . . if freedom means endless nagging from a transition coach and the prying eyes of the entire town. Coming home should feel good, but his family and ex-girlfriend seem like strangers. 

Caleb and Maggie are outsiders, pigeon-holed as "criminal" and "freak." Then the truth emerges about what really happened the night of the accident and, once again, everything changes. It’s a bleak and tortuous journey for Caleb and Maggie, yet they end up finding comfort and strength from a surprising source: each other.


I've only read Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles and loved it! I'm sure this will be just amazing. Can't wait :)

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer
Summary: (taken from Goodreads)

It's almost the end of Miranda's sophomore year in high school, and her journal reflects the busy life of a typical teenager: conversations with friends, fights with mom, and fervent hopes for a driver's license. When Miranda first begins hearing the reports of a meteor on a collision course with the moon, it hardly seems worth a mention in her diary. But after the meteor hits, pushing the moon off its axis and causing worldwide earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanoes, all the things Miranda used to take for granted begin to disappear. Food and gas shortages, along with extreme weather changes, come to her small Pennsylvania town; and Miranda's voice is by turns petulant, angry, and finally resigned, as her family is forced to make tough choices while they consider their increasingly limited options. Yet even as suspicious neighbors stockpile food in anticipation of a looming winter without heat or electricity, Miranda knows that that her future is still hers to decide even if life as she knew it is over.

I've heard mixed reviews about this one, but I decided to try it out. The summary definitely intrigues me.  

What's in your mailbox?

17 comments:

Lyndsey OHalloran said...

Ive only read Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles too but I have Leaving Paradise on my wishlist. Cant wait to hear what you think of it!

Samantha R. said...

I love Life As We Knew It - amazing series and amazing book.

Katie said...

Great books you got this week. I haven't read either but I really want to. Can't wait for your reviews. Enjoy!

Blueicegal ♥ said...

i loved leaving paradise and life as we knew it is amazing!

Vicki said...

I've only read Perfect Chemistry too, but I definitely want to check out some of her other books some time soon. I LOVED Life As We Know It...I really hope you like it.

Chapter Chicks said...

These look great! :)

A.J. said...

Yay! Hope you like Leaving Paradise! :3

Faye( Ramblings of a Teenage Bookworm) said...

Leaving Paradise!!! u know how much i <3 this SE. I really hope u enjoy it!!

Happy reading Sara!

Christina T said...

I loved Leaving Paradise and I hope you do too. Life As We Knew It sounds interesting. I look forward to hearing what you think of it.

Anonymous said...

Leaving Paradise is SO good! I hope you enjoy both books. :D

Brittany said...

Nice books. I definitely have to read these still. Happy Reading!

prophecygirl said...

I haven't read either of these, but I hear they're both amazing. Enjoy!

Savannah said...

I love Leaving Paradise such a good book. The other one I have seen or read. Looks intersting!

Bere said...

Hey Sara! I really want to read these two books. They both sound great. I have yet to read Perfect Chemistry, but I'll be getting to it soon hehe. I will be looking out for your reviews Sara. Happy reading. =)

brandileigh2003 said...

Happy Reading. Here’s my IMMB

Anonymous said...

I haven't read these, but I'm pretty sure they're on my wish list.

And I received my contest win this week. Thanks to you and the publisher! :)

Anonymous said...

I don't think my love affair with Simone Elkeles is much of a secret. I hope you enjoy Leaving Paradise. I'm curious about LIfe As We Knew It - I've been putting it on a lot of book lists lately, but I haven't read it yet. I'm looking forward to your review.

Megan @ Read It, See It