Saturday, March 20, 2010

Fade by Lisa McMann

Book Review #26
Fade by Lisa McMann
Rating: Five stars (refer to the rating system on the right)

Summary: (taken from Goodreads)

SOME NIGHTMARES NEVER END.

For Janie and Cabel, real life is getting tougher than the dreams. They're just trying to carve out a little (secret) time together, but no such luck. Disturbing things are happening at Fieldridge High, yet nobody's talking. When Janie taps into a classmate's violent nightmares, the case finally breaks open -- but nothing goes as planned. Not even close. Janie's in way over her head, and Cabe's shocking behavior has grave consequences for them both.

Worse yet, Janie learns the truth about herself and her ability -- and it's bleak. Seriously, brutally bleak. Not only is her fate as a dream catcher sealed, but what's to come is way darker than she'd feared....

After being blown away from reading Wake (link takes you to my review), I thought nothing could top it. I was wrong. I almost can't describe how satisfied I am with Fade. I feel so comforted and completely engaged in the Wake series that I never want it to end. My favorite couple-Janie and Cabel were back this time and better than ever. Now that they are officially together, you get to see whole other side to them. Basically Fade took all the amazing things Wake had, but added with the crime fighting mystery that I absolutely love.

Janie uses her dream catching abilities to join Cabel to solve crimes. Due to the fact that this job puts Janie in danger causes Cabel to start becoming uncomfortable about his feelings towards the new arrangement. The main case in the story is a major sex scandal at Fieldridge High. Janie and Cabel spend most of their time trying to solve the case. Although the crime was a big part of the story, it was only half of the enjoyment. Janie learns to better control of abilities, while Cabel struggles with his own internal struggle. Compromising decisions are made, relationships grow, and the suspense will keep you guessing from the beginning to the end.

I have to say that Janie and Cabel are officially two of my favorite characters. Janie is such a strong heroine, who never gives up, despite the difficult life she suffers from. I simply admired Janie for all the accomplishments she gets done. Oh and then there is Cabel. Cabel is just amazing! He is always there for Janie, despite where their relationship stands at the time. Alone both Janie and Cabel are great, but together they are just so much better.

The writing combined with the scenes were so powerful and vivid. The scenes suck you in and never let go. Particularity the scenes at the party, when Janie was getting tipsy, you actually started to feel a little out of it yourself. The writing is definitely not traditional, but it works just right for the story. Without a dull moment, Fade will be impossible to put down.

I"m am so happy that Fade went way above my expectations. Intensity, romance, complex lovable characters, are only a few of the components in Fade. I'm so glad I picked up this series. I can't wait to see what happens next. I think everyone should-no needs to check out this series, because if not then you are definitely missing out.

7 comments:

Maria said...

I agree with you, this series rock! I can't wait to read Gone, too bad it's the last book in the series :(

j said...

Fabulous review! I loved this one too. I can't wait to get my hands on Gone!

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

I'm sad to say that I haven't read this one yet! It's been a series that I've been wanting to start forever, so maybe this'll be the push I need. Thanks for reviewing it!

Emidy
from Une Parole

Jan von Harz said...

Loved your review. I need to get these two books and read them.

Hope you will stop by my blog and read my interview with Sharon Draper. Here new book is fantastic.

Maria (Serpentine Library) said...

Wow 5 stars! I love this series and Fade is my favorite of the three, it is just so well written. Janie and Cabel are great together. I'll definitely be interested in what you think of Gone after you read it.

Bere said...

Wonderful review, Sara! I haven't started reading this
series yet but I can't wait to finally get the
books. Your review was brilliant, it made me want
to pick up the books even more. Sounds like
a fantastic series that I can't miss. Thank you =)

A.J. said...

Fade was awesome! I loved Cabel/Janie's relationship! :3