Friday, March 5, 2010

Wake by Lisa McMann

Book Review #22
Wake by Lisa McMann
Rating: Five stars (refer to the rating system on the right)

Summary: (taken from the back of the book)

For seventeen-year old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

She can't tell anybody about what she does-they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she was a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control.

Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant...

I"m trying to decide where I should start this review. First of all, WOW! Wake is extraordinary and unlike anything I've ever come across. Not to sound corny, but reading Wake was like having a really good dream the sucks you in leaving you never wanting to wake up. I literally could not put this book down, luckily for me it wasn't very long so I got to finish it in an hour or two. I've heard wonderful things about Wake, but I wasn't expecting myself to fall in love. Wake was intense, romantic, and full of craziness.

Janie Hannigan is a senior in high school living in Michigan. Her mother is an alcoholic which is one of the reasons Janie is known as "white trash" around town. Janie is average in the sense of being a hard worker and working to get to college, but aside from the regular teenager she has a n extraordinary "gift". Ever since she was little, she has been pulled into other people's dreams the moment they doze off. When she is in someone else’s dream it looks as if she is having a seizure.  She becomes numb and loses any feeling in her limbs. As time passed, Janie has learned to live with her "gift" and has even come to accepted it. Although one day she is pulled into a horrifying dream unlike anything she has ever experienced in the past.  Janie isn't just seeing  dreams anymore; she's become an active participant.

In the beginning of the book Janie only has one loyal friend; next door neighbor Carrie. Later on Janie meets Cabel, the only person who Janie has told about her "gift". Not only has Janie seen Cabel’s dreams, but
she finds that she appears in them as well, and that he is aware of her presence in his dreams. From what Janie has seen through his dreams added with rumors around school, she tries to avoid him. Cabel finds a way to get through to Janie and she finds out the truth behind his image (which was a twist). Cabel helps Janie and together they realize the Janie has more power and control over her abilities. 

I absolutely loved Cabel. At first I was reluctant to like him because of his "bad boy" image, but once you discover the truth behind his motives, you can't help but love him. Cabel is caring, sweet, and just right for Janie. Together their relationship kept me on edge, but in the end left me satisfied.

Wake isn't just a book about a girl falling into other people's dream, it is much more deep than that. Wake has crime-fighting, mystery, romance. The intense plot makes up for the not so amazing writing. Set in the present tense combined with being a quick read, Wake is definitely a book not to miss. Lucky for me, I don't have to wait for the sequel to come out (Fade)! If you haven't picked this one up yet, you most definitely should.

25 comments:

Raíla said...

Such a great review! Aw. I haven't picked it up yet, but I will hopefully do this! :)

Morgan said...

I love this series, and am so sad it's done now. And just like you said, it's a very fast read. Great review!

Morgan said...

Okay, I know I just commented right above, but I wanted to let you know that I passed a couple of awards onto you at my blog. You can see them here:
http://smittenwithbooks.blogspot.com/2010/03/awards-and-some-other-very-good-news.html#comments

Lisa Miles said...

I'm so glad to read your review on this. I just got it in the mail the other day and can't wait to start it!

Stephanie said...

What a great review! I enjoyed this novel too, and I really like the way you described it as being like a dream.

Spellboundbybooks Mel said...

Awesome Review. I absolutely loved Wake and Fade, just waiting for Gone to arrive in the mail.

j said...

This was a great book. I haven't read the third, Gone, yet but it is on my list! Another great review Sara!

Jennifer said...

I've heard great things about this series of books! I actually had the first book, but I left it out and my dog ripped it apart and I never got another copy! LOL

I'm a new follower from the Book Blog Hop! Thanks for joining!

Faye( Ramblings of a Teenage Bookworm) said...

Love this series!

Faye( Ramblings of a Teenage Bookworm) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mel (He Followed Me Home) said...

I loved this one too, great review! It took a bit to get used to her style but once it got going, you really get sucked in!

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

I need to start this series! All the reviews I've read so far have been great, so I must be missing out on something.

Emidy
from Une Parole

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

You know, I've heard some awesome things about this review, but I have to say your review is the most brilliant I've read! I love the sounds of this, and I definitely want to try it out! :)

Sara said...

Thanks for all the comments :)

Morgan: I love love the award, thanks again!

Jennifer: Thanks for stopping by, the book blog hop is great.

Melissa: Thank you so much, that seriously made my day!

Lauren said...

Excellent review! I loved this, and now I'm feeling even more excited about the next book in the series. I loved Cabel too!

prophecygirl said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it! And Cabel :)

I love this series - Fade is my favourite. I didn't think it would be better than Wake, but it was!

Tynga said...

Hello Sara!
Thanks for stopping by my blog =)
I'm glad you enjoyed Wake, unfortunately it didn't work for me I really didn't like it =(

Have a nice day!

Bookish in a Box said...

Hi, I found your blog through the Saturday Network.

This book has been on my wishlist forever. Your review is really making me crave it! :-P

Jan von Harz said...

Great Review Sara. I really think I will enjoy Wake. I like the premise and who doesn't like a "bad boy" turned good. Have a great weekend.

Test said...

Great review! I love this series so much, and you're review has reminded me that I have to read Gone sometime soon. :)

Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith said...

Thank you, Sara, neat!

Bill ;-)

Hope you'll check out my book giveaway:
http://drbillsbookbazaar.blogspot.com/2010/02/book-giveaway-beach-street.html

Bere said...

Wow Sara! Your review is brilliant! This
book is already in my wish list, but now
I want to read it even more! Can't wait
to finally buy it. Really, awesome review! =)

Curling up by the Fire said...

Your review was great! I really enjoyed books 1 and 2. I just finished book 3 and wasn't as impressed; I really wish there was a book 4 so I could find out what happens to Janie.

I love the colours on your blog; they're so bright and cheerful. I'm glad I found you through the Saturday Netword as I'll be back to check out more of your reviews.

Have a great weekend!

Lina Shaik said...

My TBR list is piling so high but I can't resist not to add this one to the pile! Your review has certainly got me wanting this book n.o.w!

Alyson Greene said...

I keep seeing this book and its sequels. Your review has convinced me to check it out, thanks!