Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Tangled by Carolyn Mackler

Book Review #23
Tangled by Carolyn Mackler
Rating: Four stars (refer to the rating system on the right)

Summary: (taken from Goodreads)
Jena, Dakota, Skye, and Owen are all at Paradise—the resort in the Caribbean, that is—for different reasons, but in Paradise their lives become tangled together in ways none of them can predict. Over the course of four months, through four voices and four stories, what happened in Paradise will change them all.

In this extraordinary novel, the Printz Honor–winning author brings us her most accomplished work yet. Tangled is a story of the secrets we keep, the risks we take, and the things we do for love.


Before reading Tangled, I had no idea a book could be so light and funny while being so intense and heartbreaking at the same time. I never thought I would actually love a book told from four different views/story, but surprisingly it was great. Each character's story was so relatable and touching. The way the stories each intersect is fascinating and will leave you smiling at the end. You become absorbed in each story, that you end up looking up at the time and realizing a couple of hours have passed.

Tangled begins with the four characters all meeting in paradise. The book takes place over the course of four months, with each character telling their story within a month's period. First we meet Jenna in April. Jenna is first introduced while vacationing with her mother, and her mother's best friend and her daughter (Skye).  Jenna is a pretty average teenager who loves to read and collect quotes. During her week in paradise, Jenna meets Dakota who at first makes her heart go crazy. Jenna's story ends rather abruptly, but don't worry you definitely find closure by the end. 

Next month, you meet Dakota- personally my favorite story. Dakota is an athlete and is the type of guy who gets pretty much what he wants. He gets in to a bit of trouble and is forced to go live with his grandparents for a week. I loved Dakota's story because he went through the biggest transformation. Dakota had issues that you would never imagine he had based on meeting him in Jenna's story. 
  
In June you get introduced to Skye. Skye is pretty, popular, an aspiring actress, and "perfect" in everyone else's eyes. The truth is Skye doesn't appear as happy as everyone seems. Skye finally becomes sick of pretending. Skye's story left me preparing for the worst as well has dying to know what was going to happen next.
  
Lastly, there is Owen- Dakota's younger brother. You first see Owen in paradise (he lives with his mother). He is a computer nerd, who has spends most of his time on his blog who is the total opposite of Dakota. The way Jenna appears in Owen's story leaves you all warm and fuzzy inside.
  
After reading each character's story you are left with a cliffhanger at the end, but things come together by the end of the book. The way the other character's appeared or were mentioned in each others stories was done beautifully. Tangled really teaches you that there is always more than meets the eye. You would think that  that the characters would be underdeveloped due to the time you get with each of them, but that definitely wasn't the case. Surprisingly, each character was very complex and well developed. Each character went through significant changes and I was able to connect with each of them. 

Don't let the the different viewpoints keep you away from this one. Tangled is definitely different than the standard book told from different views. Mackler's writing is truly amazing and will leave you so engaged in the book you won't be able to put it down. With romance, comedy, and realistic touching characters, what more could you ask for. If your looking for a enjoyable quick (not all that light though) than pick this one up.

12 comments:

j said...

Wow, this one sounds great. Awesome review. I'm going to put this one on my wishlist now. :)

Tales of Whimsy said...

Great review.

Maria said...

Great review! I'll definitely check this on out :D

Bookalicious Ramblings said...

Ha, your awesome review makes me want to read this book even more! Plus I love the cover!

Anonymous said...

Awesome review Sara! I've wanted to read this one and now I want to do so even more. I love multiple points of view. :)

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

Excellent review! I love books with meaning, like this one. I'll be on the lookout for Tangled!

Emidy
from Une Parole

Jessica Love said...

I have this on my shelf and I keep meaning to get to it soon. It's hard when I have so many library books! Great review!

Bere said...

Excellent review Sara! I haven't read this
book yet, but I'm looking forward to reading
it. It sounds just great! Thank you =)

Stephanie said...

What a lovely review! I love the way you described the character development. I will keep this book in mind.

Anonymous said...

I want to read all of Mackler's books. I read Love and Other Four Letter Words, and I'm currently reading The Earth, My Butt and Other Big Round Things.

Christina T said...

Fantastic review! I loved this book too. I want to go read her other books now. I hope they'll be just as good.

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

Great review! I've been wanting to read this one, and I love a book that has different view points. They're my favorite :)